20080627

Pet Peeves of Artists




While I research the content for my next onslaught of posts I decided to vent a little bit. This is something I have not been able to say to the public because I have not wanted to affect my image. Being sheepish is getting me no where so here is something that really gets my goat.

I absolutely hate it when people exclaim how much they love a piece of art and how much they want to buy it, but change their mind at the very last minute. The very last!
I would prefer that people not say anything about the work. (Believe it or not, most artists have their own opinions about their own artwork!!) Artist would rather not get their hopes up or spend time talking about a sale to a complete smuck that will never happen; when real buyers are in the room.

I have discovered the problem, as have many artists; and in many cases for the most part I've noticed people want to talk shit. They want to make a connection with the artist and be seen speaking with the artist at the show/gallery because that is how status is gained, regulated and exchanged at art shows. Whom ever can hold the artists attention is dubbed significant. After people find out who the artist is, they want to be around the artist and feel as if they have contributed something to the art. It may sound indulgent, but I have been to hundreds of art shows and watched the way people interact. The funny thing is most artists would skip the exhibition if they could. Just to avoid stupid questions. Oh the questions* Art shows are not like a class room, THERE ARE SUCH THINGS AS VERY STUPID QUESTIONS! Before you ask an artist, try saying the question outloud to yourself or ask an artist you don't care about offending. (Now that is solid advice.) The array of inquisitions either remain at the same level of audacity or get worse every rip- I go through great lengths now to miss as many of my own art shows as possible. Even if that means losing a sale here and there, at least I keep my sanity! I like to see peoples reactions, but that's it. I love to paint a powerful piece and see the facial expression of a perfectly unbiased stranger, but save the advice and questions for your kids and blogs.

Let me paint a picture that I've seen about a hundred times. I will try not to exagerrate. I'll even name names to make it interesting: It's not like you know these people. Well some of you do. Well, it's not as if they'll ever read this blog...well maybe at some point...It's not as if they don't deserve this!

Denise or or GT will come up to you or call and say

"Hey what's up with that piece hanging?"


Quishenta Joans: 'Well it's for sale, like the rest of them...'

"Can you hold it for me? I want it! I love it! It's great!"

'Well you can buy it now, or just pick it up when you're ready.'

"I love it, can you hold it for me?"

"Well I don't live here, it's for sale. Anyone can buy it anytime."

'But I need it! It goes with my new apartment!'

"Well this usually ends badly for me, but I'll try to keep it off the market..."

'Thanks so much! I want it! I'll come back with some of the money at the end of the show!'


"Hi, the show has been down for a week, I have to store the work, even though I may have had another potential buyer I held it for you. Can you come with at least half of the money by Friday?"

'Um, I don't think I can get it anymore. Thanks for calling I love your art, I want it, it's great...'

I get this every show. Every show. I shouldn't complain though, because almost every show, some piece gets stolen or some Morgan, or Jordan or Laura will never come back with the rest of the money, or it will get broken by the HillTop Studio people hanging the work. Or Nolan will lose it. It's always the uninsured piece too. What's even worse though is when someone like Todd asks you to change a piece and then doesn't ever buy it.

Would you put up with this in any other business? Ask yourself if you would accept this type of behaviour from your clients after fixing their car, or house or clothes, or food, arm, taxes...? Most of you don't understand how difficult it is to make money in this art game. First of all, it's not even easy being an artist, because we view the world in another perspective. So the next time you get upset at some weird art type, just remember most of them have plenty of reasons to be a little pissed off in general.






& about the names of people who blew me off, screwed me over on some art that I omitted, I just want you to know I forgot your names, because frankly you are that insignificant to me.

Quishenta Joans 1- Fakers 17

No comments: