20080702

The scene?










I don't know what this was...I drove by and decided to go back because of the large number of people. It was at 1615 North Western. A place formally known for quality in music production, McKinley Wells metal fabrication and severl other small design companies. I spent several years producing art and interning in different facilities and studios there. Now it has been renovated and taken a new life as rented art studios. I'd missed a wonderful group show the week before. I was hoping this was the closing, but only one room was open. There were empty beer bottles around and obvious art students and scenesters dressed in the best and worst clothes they could possibly find. There were only two pieces in sight and only one was hung...Maybe the draw was the 'suedo performance art'. Several people drenched themselves in chocolate syrup while dressed in very formal clothes. I don't understand the nature or purpose of the act. It may have been sexual in origin, because they spontaneously began gyrating to the techo music blasting from Ceasar's, (one of the managers of the spaces) tables, or maybe they mixed more than chocolate into the syrup. This happens all too often in Chicago. A party for the sake of drinking with art as an excuse/cover. Maybe I was late or just missing something significant. (I doubt it.) The coolest people there seemed to be bored out of their minds. Many people just gathered outside. There was hardly any space inside the tiny, poorly ventilated studio and many people seemed as if they just wanted to be seen, so I looked and left. It was a waste of gas, I should have hoofed it.

No comments: