20081003

Local Boy Makes Faces






Charles Hart better known to his friends as Charlie/Fix-a-Flat to musicians is one of those art musician types. In Chicago; it's an exclusive bunch. There is something in the water. He is from Vermont, but he's here now. Besides making incredible music, he mentors kids for Columbia College's Resounding Stories. He has several side projects we get into another day. When I first walked into his apartment, I was there to listen to beats, but the art on the wall inspired and haunted me. It reminded me of friends and family. The colour was so vibrant and the images were just popping. When I found out it was his work, his food tasted even better. That's what art is supposed to do people: help you enhance all the senses! Nice work Fix-a-Flat. I should have asked him where he got that name...any hoot, here's a Q and A with Q.J.


QJ- Where did you get this idea from?


Fix- The idea of drawing these portraits evolved from a basic interest in
drawing people. When I was younger I would draw figures, stick and
otherwise, with a curiosity and energy which I believe has remained
with me since then. The more I would draw, the more conscious I became
of certain opportunities in form, color, expression and so forth. I
would like to think that with each piece I am capturing a little bit
of humanity.

QJ- Do you name these paintings?

Fix- Naming these is very difficult for me. Because each piece has no theme
other than human (sort of), I see the decision akin to picking a name
for a child or something to that effect. I just decided to name them
Mr. --------, as they are not my children, and I like the respectful
tone of using such a title.

QJ- What medium are these?

Fix- Acrylic

QJ- What do these vibrant colours represent?

Fix- My decision to use these colors was to make the image bounce. Using
vibrant colors helps relay the expression of the person, as if thier
face is a well-lit open book.

QJ- How do people react to the faces looking at them?

Fix- I think people are generally interested in looking if they walk by
them. People say they look like aliens.

No comments: