20090830

War Paint



The style and technique in this art are not inherently bad. In fact it reminds me of traditional art used on sea fairing vessels and other tree trunk related art of indigenous tribes from across the globe, but mainly in the Pacific Rim. It's the purpose behind it. The image of a shark already incites fear and power in many people immediately. This implies that the pilot is personified as the animal. So, I feel using animals to represent war is wrong, even though nature is constantly at war and peace. What I do love about this particular piece is that it is painted on a modern boat, negating the violent aspect. This is the best use of a bad art style to me.

It's just personal, but I do feel it makes it easier for people to think of bombing others when part of them is pretending to be something else.

No comments: