20080521

Henry Joseph Darger









I want to spot light one of my favorite artists. I have not read his work, but I hope to purchase a copy soon. He is one of the most curious people I've ever heard of. Many people tell me to look him up, so I did. Since we are still in war times, I thought his work would be very appropiate. Very few artists have impacted my view of the art world this much:

Henry Joseph Darger (April 12[?], 1892–April 13, 1973) was a reclusive American writer and artist who worked as a janitor in Chicago, Illinois.[1] He has become famous for his posthumously discovered 15,145-page fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred drawings and watercolor paintings illustrating the story.[2] Darger's work has become one of the most celebrated examples of outsider art.

No comments: