20080523

Slept On: Walker Arts Center


This is my first entry for an on-going list I want to make of little known institutions.
I have had the pleasure of visiting the Walker Arts Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota; 1750 Hennipin Avenue, 55403.

Mini-Pop as one of my native friend's calls it, might be one of the coolest cities in North America on the low. Uptown used to be like Wicker Park or Pilsen's cousin. (Cool parts of Chi-Town) or Austin, Texas or Marseille, France...You know the vibe I'm trying to describe. Besides Prince, they have Lunds, Lakes, high rate of mixed race and gay marriages and really tall people with big smiles. Minneapolis people like to drink coffee, go to concerts and hike quite a bit I've noticed. I hear they have a pretty big shopping center too. I wouldn't know, because I spend all my free time at the Walker Arts Center. It's 6 hours away from Chicago. Just jump on the 94 and pull right in to the parking lot when you get there. Literally, it's that simple. The 94 actually becomes Hennepin Avenue, and then you make a right...and walk in. (It's one of the first things you see after entering the Mini as I like to call it.

The Walker first exposed me to Shirin Neshat. She is the ish in Iranian art to say the least. The way she mixed photos (Black and White Tri-X 400 with Silver Gelatin Prints) it was one of those, if I'm not mistaken, with video projected on walls in viewing rooms combined with wailing audio is just brillaint and tantilizing. Their permanent collection is introspective and probing. I strongly recommend you take a trip to the twin cities and tell them Quishenta Jones sent you. Bring a sweater...Cool is not just an expresion up there, it's a way of life.

No comments: