20080524

Kudos to: Steve Ditko


This will be the first installment of Kudos. I want to high-light the artistic contributions of a little known Steve Ditko; Co-creator of Spider-Man. Did you know the Spider-Man trilogy contains three of the highest grossing movies of all time? Do you know what that means? These three films are the three best selling films ever made in the whole world! Everyone has heard of Stan "the Man" Lee, but he is only half of the brain power that mustered up Peter Parker's alter ego. Many comic book artists go broke or un-credited for their contributions. Below I have an excerpt from an interview with Mr. Ditko, so you can see how much he actually molded this billion dollar character.

“ One of the first things I did was to work up a costume. A vital, visual part of the character. I had to know how he looked ... before I did any breakdowns. For example: A clinging power so he wouldn't have hard shoes or boots, a hidden wrist-shooter versus a web gun and holster, etc. ... I wasn't sure Stan would like the idea of covering the character's face but I did it because it hid an obviously boyish face. It would also add mystery to the character....[8]

Little known fact: Spider-Man was the first comic character/hero to ever don a full mask.
Genius-
Kudos to you Steve.

No comments: